Rasam Powder Recipe:
Ingredients:Coriander seeds - 1 and 1/2 cups
Dried Red Chillies - 1/2 cup
Toor Dal - 1/4 cup
Channa Dal - 1/4 cup
Jeera - 1/2 cup
Pepper Corns - 1/2 cup
Roasting ingredients gives the Rasam Powder a nice colour and increases the shelf life. Take a Kadai and add no oil for roasting.
- Dry roast Toor dal and Channa dal along with Red Chillies until golden brown and set it aside.
- Add coriander seeds and roast till nice aroma comes and do keep it aside.
- Roast Pepper Corns, allow it to splutter, set aside.
- Add jeera and roast till slightly browned and aroma comes.
- Allow all the ingredients to cool down completely and then transfer the contents to a mixer.
- Grind it to a little coarse powder to give it a nice aroma.
- Cool it down completely and then store it in a clean dry airtight container.
- The above quantity makes around 3 cups and can last fresh for 6-7 months.
- Always use only a clean dry spoon.
Rasam using rasam powder Recipe
Ingredients:Tamarind - gooseberry size
Tomato - 1 small
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Rasam powder - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
To Temper:Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - a small sprig
Red Chillies - 2
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water for 20mins and set aside.
- Heat a kadai and add a tsp of oil with finely chopped tomatoes.
- Saute nicely adding 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Strain tamarind juice, add to the kadai and allow it to boil for 3mins.
- Add rasam powder and simmer adding 2 crushed garlic cloves.
- Sprinkle a little sugar and add salt to Rasam.
- Parallelly temper the items listed under 'To Temper'.
- Add the tempered items to the rasam and switch it off.
- Garnish with a little coriander leaves.
I'm GANGA - a newbie cook. I try only traditional recipes that are both easy to do & healthy to eat.